Palliative Care & Hospice Care
There comes a time when each one of us must say goodbye. Having the proper Palliative Care in place can help everyone get through this challenging time.
If you have a loved one who is choosing end of life care at their own home, it can allow them to enjoy their final moments with all their family, friends and possessions around them. We can provide the professional and compassionate care services you require during such a time. We want our patients to get the care they need, but we also want them to feel completely comfortable during the process. We can provide personal care, meal prep, home support and other services so a patient can maximize the quality time they spend with their family.
What is Palliative Care?
We define Palliative care and Hospice Care as the compassionate care of a patient and their family when there is no cure for their condition. The care is provided in a way that gives support to individuals who are in the final phase of a long-term illness, with a focus placed on comfort and quality of life rather than preventing the condition from killing the patient.
Palliative and Hospice Care is designed to help patients and their families:
- Addressing any physical, social, psychological and spiritual issues the patients may have, along with their fears, hopes and anxieties during such a time.
- Preparing and managing self-determined life closure and the process of dying.
- Coping with loss and grief for the patient and their family.
The purpose of Palliative and Hospice Care is to:
- Monitor and help with any ongoing issues that the patient and their family are facing related to the client’s health.
- Promote any opportunities for meaningful experiences, personal growth, spiritual growth and self-actualization.
- Palliative and Hospice Care is the best way for a person who has a terminal illness to get the help and care they need. It is helpful for both the patent and their family as they go through such a situation.
Our Palliative and Hospice Care in Etobicoke and Mississauga:
Such moments are extremely tough and challenging for everyone involved. We have professional and experienced caregivers who can assist with the holistic, practical and compassionate care you need to improve your quality of life during your final weeks or months.
The Care Management and Palliative Care teams we have in Retire-At-Home Services Etobicoke work very well together in order to create palliative care outreach programs. We have specialist doctors, therapists and nurses that can help create and implement a care plan for the needs and wants of a loved one who is suffering during the late stages of an illness.
The total care approach we take to palliative care includes:
- Monitoring a client’s health and revising their care plan as necessary.
- Sponge baths, personal care, mouth care and positioning their bed to maintain the integrity of their skin.
- Assisting with dietary needs.
- Regular communication with palliative doctors and other health care pros.
- Communication with family members.
- Ensuring the client goes through the process with their dignity and privacy in tact, while respecting their religious or spiritual beliefs.
- Arranging for any home care supplies or equipment.
- Filling in gaps with various services to ensure the care remains consistent.
Talk with our team about managing the end-of-life stage of your loved one. Thanks to our support, you will have more time to spend with your loved one, and you can share a lifetime of memories instead of being overwhelmed with the burden of caring for them on your own.